Sunday, September 21, 2008

Berlin

I am now in Berlin, currently sitting in an apartment that I will be inhabiting for one month before moving into another until the end of June. It is a very nice place, in Prenzlauerberg with lots of cool cafes and shops and things but unfortunately no internet aside from some untrustworthy wireless that can only be reached from my roommates room. And it is there where I sit now nursing my cold. I have some more recipes and things from the Summer I would like to publish but the connection here is too slow for picturse so I will have to wait and go to a cafe this week.

My culinary attempts since moving into this apartment on Wednesday have been rather pitiful. I don't know what is wrong with me! I did makes a pretty great granola Thursday evening, but the tofu dish I made was horrific (I am going to blame this on the odd consistency of the german tofu I purchased) and the miso soup I made yesterday was also very disappointing. How can one mess up miso soup! My mother suggested that my cold had affected my tastebuds so maybe that is it, but I think the miso was also just different than what I was used to. I was exited to find it yesterday though. I went to a bio-markt down the corner from my apartment (basically just a health food store with only organic foods) and they had a whole macrobiotic section! Despite being a very small store. I couldn't believe I had found this right around the block. So i got some arame, kombu, mirin, shoyu and miso. Expensive, but these are things that last a while.

Nonetheless, I decided that I had suffered through enough of my own sub par cooking and went to a cafe across the street for lunch for some pumpkin-ginger-lemon soup which was just the thing I needed. Delicious.

Anyway, here is what the granola consisted of:

Rolled Oats
Flax Seeds
Sesame Seeds
Toasted Walnuts
Peanut Butter
Brown Sugar
Cinnamon
Water

Mixed it all together what seemed right, sprinkled some water over it, popped it in a 350 oven for about 30 minutes taking it out every so often to mix it about. Granola really is very easy to make and it feels good to make it yourself. It's also cheaper! And you can put anything in it you want.

More recipes to come once this internet situtation becomes better. Tschüssi!

1 comment:

Bryan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.